Programming Habits in Python

Kirby Urner urner at alumni.princeton.edu
Thu Dec 7 20:45:25 EST 2000

I'm one of those who thinks Python is a good first
language.  I wouldn't say it's the only option though.

Although it features dynamic typing, the concept of
types is still there, and that's what a beginning
programmer needs to learn.

Every programming langauge teachers reflexes and
habits of mind which aren't entirely transferrable.

I like Python because it incorporates a lot of
ideas from many backgrounds, is cosmopolitan, so
when you move to another language, like Haskell,
or Java, or Scheme, it's not like starting over.
You'll draw on your Python experience and find
that it helps you.

Kirby

See:  http://www.inetarena.com/~pdx4d/ocn/cp4e.html
for more intro Python, used as a teaching langauge