ANNOUNCE: soundex.py

Bjorn Pettersen pbjorn at uswest.net
Fri Dec 22 14:39:24 EST 2000

"A.M. Kuchling" wrote:

> On Fri, 22 Dec 2000 11:40:06 -0700, Bjorn Pettersen <pbjorn at uswest.net> wrote:
> >If we could get the soundex.py as part of the standard library, this
> >would definitely get my vote.
>
> That's not what I'm suggesting; it was there once and was removed as
> being of marginal usefulness to most people. Modules/soundex.c is
> still around as a relic of this, though it's not compiled by default.
> I'm suggesting it's now safe to delete soundex.c.

Well, since the .py module now has more functionality than the .c module I can
definitely see problems with keeping soundex.c. OTOH, removing it would force
people to download something extra instead of just editing the Setup file...
Speaking from a software maintenance perspective, I wouldn't expect a deprecated
module to disappear until the next _major_ release.

Perhaps it's time to create an "extras" package that contain all the marginal
modules that don't have enough of a userbase to be in the standard library?

-- bjorn