Dumb Newbie Question

Matthew Dixon Cowles matt at mondoinfo.com
Sat Dec 9 14:12:57 EST 2000

On Sat, 09 Dec 2000 13:42:09 -0500, Scott Weisel <sweisel at drew.edu>
wrote:

>I thought I might be able to modify sys.path like this
>sys.path = sys.path + "c:\\python16\\programs
>but I'm getting a TypeError stating "illegal argument type for
>built-in operation."

Scott,
sys.path is a list and the + operator won't append a string to a
list. You want either:

sys.path=sys.path+["c:\\python16\\programs"]

since + will concatenate two lists or else

sys.path.append("c:\\python16\\programs")

since a list's append method will take a string.

But I think it's more common to write:

sys.path.insert(0,"c:\\python16\\programs")

to put your own directory up front so that in case of a name conflict, it's
your own stuff that's picked up.

Regards,
Matt