Python legalities

Peter Hansen peter at engcorp.com
Fri Dec 8 02:06:41 EST 2000

Helen (or maybe it was really Bruce) Dawson wrote:

> If we license software from a third party, then part of what we
> are paying them for is for them to promise that there aren't any
> copyright or patent issues, and for them to take the legal heat if
> there are any issues.
>
> With free software in general, and Python in particular, there is
> nobody to indemnify us.
>
> Bruce Dawson
> comments at cygnus-software.com

Somehow I doubt the distinction between "free" and commercial software
is really that clear.  Is it definitely, legally, contractually the case
that you are completely safe licensing software for money from a third
party?  Isn't it possible they have inadvertently included copyrighted
material from other sources without realizing it (or deliberately), and
the copyright owner could come after you?

I'm not saying you are definitely wrong, but perhaps the legal eagles
are reading too much benefit into the difference between licensing with
money exchanged and licensing without money exchanged.

IANAL, but some of my best friends know people who are.