why no "do : until"?

Kragen Sitaker kragen at dnaco.net
Sat Dec 30 20:59:46 EST 2000

In article <slrn94t1vj.150.grey at teleute.rpglink.com>,
Steve Lamb <morpheus at here.not.there> wrote:
>On Sat, 30 Dec 2000 23:00:53 GMT, Kragen Sitaker <kragen at dnaco.net> wrote:
>>Hahaha!  You just plonked Fredrik Lundh in comp.lang.python.  He was
>>being helpful and polite, and you plonked him because you disagreed
>>with him.  I can guess how much help you'll get next time you have a
>>Python question.  :)
>
>    I can tell you I'll get far better without him than with him when he is
>giving advice that runs contrary to about 10+ years of programming that I've
>been taught from various different sources.  I don't care if he is God
>himself, advocating not initing a variable is stupid, plain and simple.

Some of us continue to gain new insights about programming by listening
to those who disagree with us, despite having 20 years of experience
programming.  Our humility removes limits to our knowledge and achievement.

On the other hand, some of us believe that programming for a year, or
five years, or 10+ years, means that we know everything there is to
know about the subject, and that if someone more experienced disagrees
with us, it is more likely because the more experienced person is
stupid, plain and simple, than because we can't understand their
reasoning.  This class of people generally stops learning after their
first year or so programming.

It's sad to watch, but funny, too, in a sad way.
--
<kragen at pobox.com>       Kragen Sitaker     <http://www.pobox.com/~kragen/>
Perilous to all of us are the devices of an art deeper than we possess