Python wrapper for C++ STL?

shindich at my-deja.com shindich at my-deja.com
Fri Dec 8 20:42:15 EST 2000

In article <npfY5.1850$x6.2577114 at news2.rdc2.tx.home.com>,
  "Rainer Deyke" <root at rainerdeyke.com> wrote:
> "Edward C. Jones" <edcjones at erols.com> wrote in message
> news:3A31760E.D157EB54 at erols.com...
> > Has anyone written a Python wrapper for the C++ Standard Template
> > Library?
>
> Why would anybody want to?  Python provides most STL fnctionality
natively.
> Such a wrapper would need to constantly translate C++ exceptions to
Python
> exception and vice versa, making the wrapper be more trouble than it's
> worth.
>
> --
> Rainer Deyke (root at rainerdeyke.com)
> Shareware computer games           -           http://rainerdeyke.com
> "In ihren Reihen zu stehen heisst unter Feinden zu kaempfen" - Abigor

STL has other things that are of great use to C++ developers -- sets
and a bunch of generic algorithms to name a few. But STL looses its
beauty without the type safety. And Python is not type safe. I guess
the only feature that I really miss is std::set. But a set can be
implemented as a dictionary that uses the same object as both the key
and the value.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.