UN/EDIFACT related packages

Kevin Jacobs jacobs at darwin.epbi.cwru.edu
Wed Dec 20 07:28:35 EST 2000

Dinu C. Gherman <gherman at darwin.in-berlin.de> wrote:
> I know that Cees de Groot did some work in that field,
> resulting in a package called "ema". Hopefully he will
> listen and speak up.

Actually, it was Laurent Szyster (thanks to Google).  I don't know what has
come of it, but his annoucement and e-mail address are included below:

Title: EMA, an EDIFACT mapper
Resource type: FYI
Date: Thu, 24 Sep 1998 15:48:39
Source: E-mail
Author: Laurent Szyster (szyster at ibm.net)
Original URL:

Abstract/Summary:

Hello,

As part of an ongoing project, I needed a program that could map EDIFACT
interchange to HTML pages. Since it has to be integrated into a larger
network application, I decided that the best thing would be to write one
myself (I found Mercator and similar software too heavy to use and too
difficult to integrate or customize).

EMA, an EDIFACT mapper, can parse and validate EDIFACT interchanges and
messages using definitions written in XML, then map them to various text
based format like HTML, CSV or tab-delimited using maps written in XML and
ad-hoc function libraries (using Python).

This is alpha software but it already looks promising. Moreover it adheres
to Open Source Software requirements: it's free in every sense of the word
("free speach" as well as "free beer"), thanks to RINET s.c. good will. Any
comments, whishes and ... _code_ contributions are welcome (*).

Some web space and mailing list are on their way, so to get EMA you'll have
to send me short mail asking for it ;-)

To test it you'll need Python version 1.5, the language used to develop EMA.
It will run on all platform supported by Python: Windows 95/98/NT, DOS,
OS/2, all UNIXes, MacOS and even Java (using JPython).

Laurent Szyster

___ RINET s.c.

(*) Don't send me money, it's FREE OF CHARGE!