One Python 2.1 idea

Lieven Marchand mal at bewoner.dma.be
Sun Dec 24 06:15:23 EST 2000

"Alex Martelli" <aleaxit at yahoo.com> writes:

> Actually, for all-out speed in a higher-level language, Scheme
> (with the stalin compiler) or Common Lisp probably cannot be
> beat.  There ARE, after all, decades of Lisp experience and many
> groups of clever people laboring away at getting such speed.

I think Common Lisp shows that getting very good speed in Python is
quite feasable. The original CMUCL implementers weren't such a large
group. Their highly optimising compiler (which incidentally is also
called Python) has on occasion beaten FORTRAN at numerics. I don't
know why some people in the Python community think compiling Python is
such a problem. Practically all the problems have been tackled and
solved 20 years ago in the Lisp community.

--
Lieven Marchand <mal at bewoner.dma.be>
Lambda calculus - Call us a mad club