Singleton vs Proxies DP (was Re: Solution: Direct access to Printer I/O lines)

Alex Martelli aleaxit at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 18 12:26:35 EST 2000

"Dinu C. Gherman" <gherman at darwin.in-berlin.de> wrote in message
news:3A3DF9AA.74552346 at darwin.in-berlin.de...
    [snip]
> Actually, I'm pretty sure there is already something like a
> singleton-like pattern with more of the properties you like.

Of course there is -- I've been saying all along that I
first met this design pattern (whose name I forget!) in
C++ terms in the C++ Report (and in COM it's rather old

> Maybe you should check Linda Rising's "Pattern Almanac" or
> similar sources?
>
>   http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0201615673

That might help me remember the name, yes... or else, any
cumulative table of contents of C++ Report (or, if I
could just put some order in my old C++ Report issues!-).

Alex