Script vs Program

Tim Hammerquist tim at degree.ath.cx
Tue Dec 5 17:13:08 EST 2000

GMT, Greg Jorgensen <gregj at pobox.com> wrote:
> Actually JavaScript used to be called LiveScript, and it was the server-side
> scripting language of the Netscape LiveWire web server. Netscape renamed the
> language and decided it would be cool to enable it in the web client.
> Microsoft was still trailing Netscape at the time so they put JavaScript
> into Internet Explorer to stay compatible with Netscape.

To my understanding, Netscape included "JavaScript" in its web clients,
whereas MSIE, ever stubborn, included it's own modified but similar
"JScript."  JavaScript has been standardized by ECMA.  The standard is
available http://www.ecma.ch/ under the code ECMA-262.

--
-Tim Hammerquist <timmy at cpan.org>

Love is the triumph of imagination over intelligence.
	-- H. L. Mencken