Label-Value (was: Re: Inheriting the @ sign from Ruby)

Darren New dnew at san.rr.com
Wed Dec 13 19:03:25 EST 2000

Erno Kuusela wrote:
> | Having
> |  x = 2 + 2
> |  print x
> | result in anything except "4" is probably a *really* bad idea.
> | AFAIK, only FORTH and really old Fortrans allow this.
>
> agreed - but this is not something (sane) a mutable integer object
> would break.

Well, X is a variable, and you can already change the value in X.
2 is an integer.

What are we missing? I mean, the only integer that isn't mutable in that
statement is "2".

If you mean a cell (cf Eiffel) that stores a value and can get it back as an
object...
If you mean basically a shared variable, then that seems easy.

--
Darren New / Senior MTS & Free Radical / Invisible Worlds Inc.
San Diego, CA, USA (PST).  Cryptokeys on demand.