while true: !!!

Greg Ewing greg at cosc.canterbury.ac.nz
Tue Dec 19 22:17:57 EST 2000

Tim Hochberg wrote:

> If I attempt to summarize I get the following for false items:
>
> * None
> * Anything that equals zero (Including a class instance with __nonzero__
> returning false)
> * An empty sequence (Including a class instance with __len__ returning 0)

The fact that it's taken about three attempts by
experienced Python people to come up with a full
and accurate characterisation of what constitute
'true' and 'false' in Python suggests that things
could have been a lot simpler if there had been a
dedicated boolean type!

Christchurch, New Zealand
http://www.cosc.canterbury.ac.nz/~greg