One Python 2.1 idea

rturpin at my-deja.com rturpin at my-deja.com
Mon Dec 25 22:22:33 EST 2000

Tim Peters raises some very good points. I am thinking on
them, as much as my post-Christmas, brandied brain allows.
For now, two things.

First, I hope Alex Martelli does look at how list
comprehension is implemented. Even though I am the one
who has argued that the language features of Python are
quite mature, I think list comprehension is just the
right kind of language enhancement, raising the level
of abstraction in a way that extends seamlessly the
existing notation.

Second, a question. Consider the invocation of a method,
such as:

    x.foo()

Does this really cause the lookup of the string "foo"
in x's namespace dictionary? The first time? Every time?
Is this also the case when data members are accessed?

Hoping-everyone-had-a-good-holiday'ly yrs,
Russell

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/