sniffing btw my web browser and a server

Amit Patel amitp at Xenon.Stanford.EDU
Sat Dec 30 12:01:31 EST 2000

 David M. Cooke <cookedm at physics.mcmaster.ca> wrote:
| At some point, "Eduard Hiti" <KatMouse at gmx.de> wrote:
|
| > You can try 'Proxomitron' as a proxy. It's basically an ad filtering
| > (shonenware!?) software (but capable of much more), and has a very nice log
| > window, in which you can view all HTTP headers sent.
| >
| > The URL: http://members.tripod.com/Proxomitron/
| >

| > There's also a Python only solution: 'WebDebug'. It also acts as a proxy,
| > logging all transfers and generating a nice and comprehensive HTML report.
| >
| > The URL: http://www.cyberclip.com/webdebug/download.html
| >

| Also check out this pure Python proxy code by Amit J. Patel at
|
| http://theory.stanford.edu/~amitp/proxy.html
|
| I use Proxy 3: it has many options (like changing Slashdot from green
| to blue, show HTTP headers, etc.), and is very modular. Well worth a look.

Proxy 4 will also show the headers, but it won't do filtering (yet).
The problem for this purpose is that both proxy3 and proxy4 change
the headers slightly, and if you're trying to find out *exactly* what
goes on between browsers and servers, you don't want that changed
behavior.  Also, I believe Netscape (and maybe IE) will send slightly
different headers to a proxy than they will to the server.  :-(

	 - Amit, who hasn't finished proxy4 and is thinking of proxy5
Amit J Patel, Computer Science Department, Stanford University
http://www-cs-students.stanford.edu/~amitp/