IDLE: Why doesn't the GO button work in debug?

Mark Hammond MarkH at ActiveState.com
Thu Dec 21 22:05:23 EST 2000

Chris Arai wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am trying to use the debugger in IDLE.  On a Win2K platform, when
> trying to debug the "GO" button doesn't actually run until exit or
> breakpoint, it sort of singlesteps.  The "Step" button doesn't always
> descend into functions either. Is this a bug or just something I'm doing
> incorrectly?

It is a bug in the Python debugger.  When at the "top level" of your
program, everything acts like a single-step command.  Once you get into
a function, things should work correctly.

There is actually a Python bug at source-forge about this, and marked
against me.  I have a couple of hacky workarounds - I guess I need to
bite the bullet, choose one, and get it in!

Mark.