XML-RPC was [pygtk] Python and Orbit Examples

Blair Lowe Blair.Lowe at compeng.net
Wed Dec 6 23:36:42 EST 2000

Thanks Pehr,

At 19:41 -0500 2000/12/06, Pehr Anderson wrote:
>Dear Blair,
>
>I'd recommend doing XML over a simple socket, without relying on
>HTTP or SSL as a transport protocol, but that would require you
>to include a security model within your XML specification.

Not my choice. The vendor decides this. I just have to connect and
pass XML stuff back and forth. Probably good advice for a vendor,
though.

>It's not a bad idea to handle security separately from transport
>unless you are set on the SSL security model.  It would be
>perfectly reasonable to do a HTTP POST with your XML querry
>and wait for the reply as an XML document, then all you need
is the SSL interface for python.

>Python 2.0 includes support for SSL in its web libraries,
>or you could try to do something with SSL by calling
>lynx using os.popen("lynx --source https://...").read()

I shall look into python 2.0. We are using 1.5 right now.

Pardon my ignorance, but would I connect to the ssl site with a POST
context of XML/SSL, or something? How do I get the other site ready
to accept XML? Headers? Where can I find more information on this
stuff (ie. what book(s), where are docs on line).

Thanks,
Blair.

>         -pehr
>
>On Wed, Dec 06, 2000 at 04:05:03PM -0700, Blair Lowe wrote:
>>  Sounds cool.
>>
>>  I found pyXML. at http://download.sourceforge.net/pyxml/.
>>
>>  Can one send XML to an SSL site with pyXML as well? If so, where is
>>  some good docs for this. The version I got (PyXML-0.6.2-2.0.i386.rpm)
>>  has not docs, and the overview at 4suite say I need to download
>>  something else.
>>
>>  Are there some better tools for doing this. I started to look at
>>  Zope, but it was rather cumbersome and knowing where to start with
>>  the documentation was not easy to find either.
>>
>>  TTYL,
>  > Blair.
>>
>>  At 16:53 -0500 2000/12/06, Pehr Anderson wrote:
>>  >Dear Folks,
>>  >
>>  >I would highly recommend using XML-RPC as a minimally complicated
>>  >way to communicate data between your apps.
>>  >
>>  >This might sound complicated but it really only means
>>  >	1. specify XML encodings for your data, use these throught your code
>  > >	2. open a socket on the target
>>  >	3. send an XML query and wait for an XML response
>>  >	4. parse the response
>>  >
>>  >The beautiful thing about XML-RPC (remote proceedure call) is
>>  >that it is just dirt simple. You open a socket, dump in
>>  >human readable text, and wait for a human-readable response.
>>  >Everything gets completely defined somewhere and servers and
>>  >clients could be coded in *anything*!
>>  >No complicated tools are required to implement any parts of
>>  >this system though you might want to look at how others
>>  >parse XML rather than doing it all by hand.
>>  >
>>  >And the best part is you'll have an app that anyone can understand.
>>  >No secret church of CORBA, COM or other "special tools".
>>  >XML is directly comprehensible by HUMAN BEINGS and that makes it
>>  >a sustainable encoding with simple tcp sockets for transport.
>>  >
>>  >	-pehr
>>  >

>  > >
[snip]
Computer Engineering Inc. http://www.compeng.net
Phone: 780 499 5687 (9 - 5 MST) Fax:   780 435 0693 (24 Hours)