MVC module anyone?

Dethe Elza delza at antarcti.ca
Thu Dec 7 15:32:02 EST 2000

Bjoern,

I've toyed around with something like this.  Basically, putting the view in
external resources.  I would use XML for this.  Since most GUI toolkits are
now using XML for their serialized forms, at least optionally, you could
then write a XSLT tranform from your resource to the target GUI's specific
resource format.

I hope the above makes sense, I've been thinking about this a lot and
sometimes jump over several steps when I
try to describe it.

Wish I had more time to work it out.  For a base XML language to jump into
this from there are several choices:

XUL (http://www.mozilla.org/xpfe/xulref/XUL_Reference.html), used in Mozilla
UIML (http://www.uiml.org), proprietary language for doing just what I
describe above
XForms (http://www.w3.org/MarkUp/Forms/), upcoming standard to add real GUI
elements to the web

Some of the xml resource formats to consider transforming to:

libglade xml for GTK+ and GNOME (http://www.daa.com.au/~james/gnome/), hard
to find documentation on the XML format itself
BML (http://www.alphaworks.ibm.com/tech/bml), for Java/Swing
I don't know of an xml dialect for describing/creating Tkinter interfaces,
but there is one in the works for wxWindows.  No URL last time I checked.

HTH

--Dethe

news:90nnq6$8n0$1 at news.rz.uni-karlsruhe.de...