Graphs from python

Larry Whitley ldw at us.ibm.com
Mon Dec 4 14:48:18 EST 2000

The simulation models I write and run generate a lot of data and to make
sense of it all I put the data into a set of graphs.  The graphs are the
typical spread sheet fare, bar graphs, X/Y graphs, scatter plots, etc.
Today, I read the data into spreadsheets from the spreadsheet and create my
graphs by hand and I'd like to automate the process.

I'm looking at using win32com (by Mark Hammond) to drive excel or
piddle+graphite to generage graphs directly from python.  While I'm sure it
will get the job done, the excel object model is a bit overwhelming.  Piddle
by itself isn't at the right level.  Graphite appears get to the right level
but the pre-alpha rating makes me think that it's a bit early to jump in.

Are there other approachs I should consider?  Whatever I end up with, I'd
like it to work from either Unix or Windows.  If I can't have both, I can
make do with just windows.  Of the two approaches above, is one
significantly better than the other (by whatever measure you want to
choose)?

Thanks,
Larry