while true: !!!

Blair Lowe Blair.Lowe at compeng.net
Thu Dec 21 19:31:48 EST 2000

Hey!

Happy Holidays.

<and rave>
I wrote TWO articles in this thread, and you have written three, yet
you ("Fredrik Lundh" ) bitch about me (at least there was a <rant>
tag, thanks for that;) ) wasting bandwidth and flame me, just to try
to get in your last word.

If you would like to kill a thread, then learn to send more friendly
messages. Personally I don't care if there are 200 more messages on
this issue. My email machine sorts this stuff with procmail (eudora
pro has some good filtering too), so I can take it or leave it. I
recommend that others sort their email as well to reduce thread
stress.
</ and rave>.

Thanks to "Delaney, Timothy" for his gracefull reply, and apologise
for grilling him so.

<and more rant and rave>
The fact is that I DO care about this issue, and that is why I read
the mailing list, and I don't think that I should be delegated to the
pep just because I put in my 2 cents. I would love to do that but I
do not have 1 to 2 hours to get into the source forge stuff right
now. I would like to do it, though, and I may yet. Why don't YOU do
it?

or even better, fix my compilation problem with "compiling
BeOpen-Python-2.0-1.src.rpm" and stop reading this thread.
</ and more rant and rave>

One thing that we have learned here is that like perl, there is more
than one way of doing things ... and here is another "english" way of
putting the statement.

Just because I think that what has become a standard from repeated
use, and lack of rethinking does NOT mean that I am from another
planet.

WHO says that while 1 is a "standard python idiom"? Certainly not in
my company! Go ahead and use while 1: I will know what you mean, and
therefor this is perhaps a useless discussion as you say, but
READABILITY is crucial in any computing project, and that is one of
the reasons python was invented.

I do agree with your position that we "don't say it in English", so ...

Along the lines of:
At 07:16 +0000 2000/12/16, Greg Jorgensen wrote:
>I worked on a huge C/C++ mutant project a few years ago. One of the
>programmers thought this was clever:
>
>   // buried in some nested #include file
>   #define FOREVER true
>   while (FOREVER) { ... }

etc.

finished = 0
while not finished:
    bla bla bla.

OK. I'll try not to contribute to this thread anymore (but no promises).

Blair.