IP adresses are not unique enough.

Georg Gogo. BERNHARD gogo at bluedynamics.com
Wed Dec 20 19:10:52 EST 2000

Well, the thing is that we want to use the mechanism with a ms-sql
server and its "uniqueidentifier" datatype. This GUID is some sort of
standard and is used within DCOM or RPC algorithms and seems to be
very relyable.

There is a big disadvantage if I use IP adresses since they can be
"unrouteable" as you called, which could mean that they are within a
LAN but using a firewall. The MAC adresses are unique, as I
understood. The Windows CoGreateGUID COM API function combines a
timestamp and a MAC adress. I want to do the same thing in python,
which is maybe not possible.

Thank you for your help,
Gogo.