SMB Module

Michael B. Allen mballen at erols.com
Sun Dec 31 20:55:04 EST 2000

Armin Steinhoff wrote:
>In article <slrn94trot.b73.mballen at angus.foo.net>, mballen at erols.com says...
>>
>>I frequent the Samba mailing list. A couple of days ago Richard Sharp
>>put together an smbclient.so library of client functions for SMB. SMB
>>is Microsoft's native file and print sharing protocol. Someone wrote a
>>Perl module using it. I just thought one of you guys might want to do the
>>same for Python. Seems only natrual since there's a nice little library
>>all packaged up with open(), read(), write(), ...etc all setup easy like.
>
>Makes no sense, because a SMB client mapps normaly a M$ volume to a directory
>tree (UNIX) or a virtual drive (M$) ... I don't see in that case any tasks for
>Python.

I'm not really sure what your talking about Armin. SMB Servers are file
servers like ftp, http, nfs, ...etc. It just happends to be by far the
most popular.

And if you have people are dedicated to MS, as many are, then having this
tool might be crucial to allowing you to work in a UNIX environment if
that's what you prefer. I do.

Mike

--
signature pending