ML & Python question

Jason Cunliffe jasonic at nomadicsltd.com
Sun Dec 31 19:27:40 EST 2000

Neelakantan

wow thanks! This is exactly the sort of overview I was looking for.
Already my friend's advice makes more sense. :-)
And your presentation and encouragment really help..

Ironically, while looking through comp.lang.ml today, I found a thread from
someone asking about Python and ML. Eventutally he got a rasonable answer,
but not without some excessive academic flames and obfuscations. A revealing
discussioon in any event, but a shame he was not so lucky to get the
immediate answer I received from you.

Which confirms by belief that in choosing ones tools, 50% of the question
relates not to virtues of the technology, but rather to the quality and
vibrancy if its community.

FYI the thread where Python entered the discussion picks up at:
http://www.mailgate.org/comp/comp.lang.ml/msg00373.html

- Jason
Jason CUNLIFFE = NOMADICS['Interactive Art and Technology']

Neelakantan Krishnaswami <neelk at alum.mit.edu> wrote in message
news:slrn94vfjg.4av.neelk at alum.mit.edu...

> The very short answer is that Python is a very high level, dynamically
> typed OO language, and that standard ML is a very high level,
> statically typed functional language. Both are IMO incredibly fun to
> program in.
[snip lots of great stuff]