Case Sensitivity and Learnability

Dennis Lee Bieber wlfraed at ix.netcom.com
Wed Feb 2 22:45:19 EST 2000

On 2 Feb 2000 17:29:15 GMT, Donn Cave <donn at u.washington.edu> declaimed
the following in comp.lang.python:

> will Python 2.0 have for them?  Wouldn't it be nice if it could
> accept MessageRecieved as a valid spelling for MessageReceived,
> for example?

	<euuuwww>

	What if it was (unwise, but...) deliberate?

	I recall a FORTRAN porting job nearly 20 years ago. Program went
from a decent FORTRAN IV to a system with minimum F-IV (or, as I
referred to it, FORTRAN minus-2; Microsoft F-80 on CP/M was more
powerful).

	The target system could not compile statements of the form:

	call xyz(a, a+1, b(a), b(a+2))

which had to be converted to:

	jinx = a+1
	linx = a+1
	call xyz(a, jinx, b(a), b(linx))

	Some calls made use of four or five junk temporaries -- imagine
every spelling of {j|l|m| }{i|y}nx appearing in a file... Imagine the
mayhem if the compiler attempts to "correct" these to a common set.