small python implementation or python subset ?

Neil Hodgson neilh at hare.net.au
Wed Feb 9 19:01:44 EST 2000

> On Windows, Python15.dll contains everything you need to embed Python in
> another C program, and that DLL on on my system is quite small enough
> already, 558K. Why not statically link the equivalent of that to your
> program?  The Python.exe on my system appears to merely call Python15.dll,
> and is 5k in size.

   Depending on where you have the size problem (storing, downloading, in
memory...) you might want to try an executable compressor such as UPX. This
gets python15.dll down to 220K and seems to work for me. Downside is that
more time (and memory ?) will be required to expand before running but it
seems quite fast enough to me.

   UPX is free and can be found at:
http://wildsau.idv.uni-linz.ac.at/mfx/upx.html

   Neil