Installing Numeric linkage problems

James L. Preston jlp at apti.com
Mon Feb 21 10:53:33 EST 2000

I am trying to build a clean, new python installation on a new
UltraSPARC with Solaris 2.6,
gcc-2.95.1 and I have run into problems with installing Numeric. I have
installed distutils,
etc, and removed all of the old python installation and I don't seem to
be getting the right
linkage going between the Numeric modules and the python core.
After I build and install Numeric, I get the following error message:

Python 1.5.2 (#6, Feb 21 2000, 14:56:44)  [GCC 2.95.1 19990816
(release)] on sunos5
>>> import Numeric
Traceback (innermost last):
  File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
  File "/usr/local/lib/python1.5/site-packages/Numeric/Numeric.py", line
76, in ?
    import multiarray
ImportError: ld.so.1: python: fatal: relocation error: file
/usr/local/lib/python1.5/site-packages/Numeric/multiarray.so: symbol
PySequence_Length: referenced symbol not found

libpython was built statically, which seems to be what is expected on
this platform.
Has anyone else had a similar situation?

later,
jlp