Problem with system calls

Alex alex at somewhere.round.here
Tue Feb 1 23:53:51 EST 2000

Hi, everyone.

I am having a problem using os.system.  I have a command which executes
through os.system without mishap on RedHat 5, or from the command line
on RedHat 6, but which segfaults when I try to run it through os.system
on RedHat 6.  Has anyone else seen something like this?

Some more info: I started up gdb using os.system, and ran the program
that way.  It segfaulted at the beginning of a procedure (no commands in
the procedure were executed) In the frame above the procedure, just
before the procedure call, all the variables passed to the procedure
seemed valid to gdb.  After the segfault, the variables still seemed
valid in the procedure's frame, but in the frame above, one of the
variables seems invalid to gdb.

I don't get this problem if I call the command from a simple C program
with nothing but the system call.  And I don't get it when I do the
system call from perl.  I tried it with a build from the python CVS
tree, and got the same problem.

Alex.