Building python on HP--please update

Ross Boylan ross at sphinx.com
Fri Feb 4 13:41:46 EST 2000

I just built Python 1.5.2c on an HP-UX 11 system.  The current build
scripts are not right.

They contain a mix of static and dynamic library building.  The object
files are not built with +z, which is mandatory for shared library
code.  But the load step attempts to build a shared library.

Static Libraries

These were my focus.  I needed to edit the link target in
Modules/Makefile to remove the $(LINKFORSHARED).

Threads

-lcma is not correct, at least for this version of HP-UX.  -lpthread is
required.
I set -D_REENTRANT also.

The installation README has a Platform note about _REENTRANT, but no
entries for the HP
"Compiler Switches for threads."  It would be good to fill that in--as
well as correcting the
scripts themselves.

Additionally, the C++ compiler may require
    -DRWSTD_MULTI_THREAD
    -DRW_MULTI_THREAD (needed only for the Tools.h++ Library)
according to HP's manuals.  I
didn't use them, and seem to be OK so far.

Shared Libraries

http://hpux.cae.wisc.edu/hppd/hpux/Languages/python-1.5.2/  has a
complete source and build for the HP.
Here is the file HP-UX.Install, from that site.
HP Porting Changes:
===================
  Configuration Files changed
  ----------------------------

  configure
    - added a test for HPUX, if true we set OPT to "-Ae +Z"

  Makefile.in
    - Added a line to each add2lib rule to build the HP shared lib:

                     ld -b -s -o ../libpython1.5.sl $(OBJS)

  Top level Makefile.in
     - Added "mkdirhier" to create the install dirs.
     - Added "bsdinst" to install HP shared lib.
     - Modified "clean" rule to remove HP shared lib.
     - Added BINLIBDEST to dir list - python gets confused if this
       doesnt exist - even if its empty.

Building:
=========

  Run "configure" || "xmkmf" to re-generate the Makefiles.

  Run "make" in the top level dir.

  Use "make -n install" to check the defaults, then "make install"

Installed:
 By
 --     [steff at csc.liv.ac.uk]
 On
 -- [Tue 26 May 1998]

version 1.5.2 on HP 11.0
 G. E. Doyle    26/10/99

       HPUX Porting and Archive Centre, Connect, Liverpool University.