Tcl (Tkinter) problems

Mladen Bestvina bestvina at math.utah.edu
Wed Feb 16 12:30:04 EST 2000

I can't get python to see the file init.tcl.

Traceback (innermost last):
  File "SnapPeaGUI.py", line 1118, in ?
    root = Tk()
  File "/usr/local/lib/python1.5/lib-tk/Tkinter.py", line 886, in
__init__
    self.tk = _tkinter.create(screenName, baseName, className)
TclError: Can't find a usable init.tcl in the following directories:

This probably means that Tcl wasn't installed properly.

Now, I do have init.tcl in /usr/local/lib/tcl8.3/init.tcl

and furthermore tcl is supposed to see it there:

mladen at drava:/home/mladen/snappea/SnapPeaPython > wish
% info library
/usr/local/lib/tcl8.3

Any ideas? I also tried this with tcl/tk8.0.5 and I get the same result.

Mladen Bestvina