Call for Patch for Borland compiler

Tres Seaver tseaver at starbase.neosoft.com
Tue Feb 22 11:22:00 EST 2000

In article <46xs4.10497$Jz3.75868 at nnrp1.uunet.ca>,
Warren Postma <embed at geocities.com> wrote:

>"David Ascher" <DavidA at ActiveState.com> wrote in message
>news:000a01bf7c92$a208fa30$c355cfc0 at ski.org...
>> Inprise/Borland has made their C++ compiler on Windows free (as in beer).
>> Guido has expressed that it would be nice to have makefiles which allowed
>> one to build Python with this compiler by the next release.  If someone is
>> interested in providing this patch, that'd be great.
>>
>> See compiler download info at:
>> http://www.borland.com/bcppbuilder/freecompiler/
>>
>> See instructions for patch submissions at http://www.python.org/patches/
>>
>> --david ascher
>>

>I could try this.
>
>How does one create the unix "patch" files while running on Windows? Would I
>need to download cygwin to get the make and tar and other unixish toolsets?
>I already have BC++ 5.5 installed on my hard drive.

I think what you really want is CVS:

 1. DL the source and unzip into scratch space.

 2. Use WinCVS to import the scratch tree as a new module.

 3. Delete the scratch tree and use CVS to check out the newly-imported
	module.

 4. Hack in the checked-out sandbox until BCB is happy.

 5. Diff the whole tree using WinCVS and submit the diff as your patch
	(you may need to use the WinCVS command line for this -- I don't
	remember if they let you specify the diff type).

 6. Check in and label the hacked tree.

Dis-stinks-without-a-diff'ly,

Tres.