Which Tcl with 1.6

Robin Becker robin at jessikat.demon.co.uk
Thu Feb 3 18:52:36 EST 2000

In article <87d2vq$s4l$1 at news.vanderbilt.edu>, Jonathan Gilligan
<jonathan.gilligan at vanderbilt.edu> writes
>Under WinNT 4.0 (SP5), with VC++ 6.0 (SP3) I have had good success building
>_tkinter with tcl 8.1 and 8.2, doing nothing more than applying Dieter
>Saurer's patches to _tkinter.c and tkappinit.c (they have been merged into
>the Python anonymous cvs repository, or you can search under tkinter and
>Dieter Saurer on deja news). Then you need to manually edit
>Lib/lib-tk/FixTk.py to replace references to tcl80.dll, tclpip80.dll and
>tk80.dll with your local equivalents.The CVS log claims that the patch to
>tkappinit does not work under Tcl 8.2, but I have had no problem so far
>running a number of the demos and running PIL with it.
>
>Has anyone tried tkinter with 8.2 on other platforms?
>
>Jonathan Gilligan

I certainly have used the patches (or slight variations thereof) with no
problems under win95/linux 2.2 Python-1.5.2

I thought about using stubs with Tcl8.2 to allow for future changes, but
as _tkinter embeds Tcl/Tk it seems that stubs are the wrong way round.
It could almost be done with a little dynamic loading technology.

--
Robin Becker