Tkinter vs. wxPython (was: Which GUI?)

Randall Hopper aa8vb at -nojunk-ipass.net
Sat Feb 26 14:23:07 EST 2000

Bernhard Herzog <herzog at online.de> wrote:
 |Guido van Rossum <guido at cnri.reston.va.us> writes:
 |> Arguments against Tkinter:
 |[...]
 |> - It doesn't let you handle your own paint events; you have to use the
 |> canvas widget.  Occasionally (as when drawing animations or large
 |> bitmaps) that's annoying and slow, because you have to create and
 |> destroy tons of small objects.
 |
 |It isn't very difficult to work around this limitation with a
 |C-extension module, at least in a platform specific manner. Sketch for
 |instance has such an extension module for Unix/X platforms which is
 |largely based on the X-extension. It lets you effectively implement a
 |widget completely in Python including handlers for exposure events.

Using OpenGL also works well here.

Using PyOpenGL, with NumPy for vertex storage only, doesn't require the
user to write a C extension module.  A Python demo I wrote recently to view
map data flings several thousand primitives around in 3D in real-time
without my writing any C code.  PyOpenGL supports embedding windows in
Tkinter apps, among other toolkits (GLUT, etc.).

--
Randall Hopper
aa8vb at -nojunk-ipass.net