MetaKit for python (Mk4py) on Macintosh ... no way :(

Arnaud Fontaine arnaud at crao.net
Tue Feb 29 04:42:13 EST 2000

In article <1260348438-26442187 at hypernet.com>, gmcm at hypernet.com wrote:

> > I need to do some good old
> > "SELECT obj1.a,obj2.c FROM obj1,obj2 WHERE obj1.d=obj2.e AND
> > obj1.f=value"
> >
> > Well .... :)
>
> view1 = db.view('view1')
> view2 = db.view('view2')
> view2.rename(view2.e, 'd')
> v = view1.join(v2, view1.d)
> v = v.select(f=value)
> for row in v:
>   print row.a, row.c

Thx Gordon.

Now MetaKit is working fine and does almost what I want :)
I also tried Gadfly which is plenty old SQL but, as far as I try it,
less suitable for objects persistence.

> A MetaKit row is an object, but not an object of your making.
> It can have properties that are ints, strings, doubles, or other
> views. So while it's not pickle, it's a whole lot easier to map
> object persistence into Metakit than into a conventional
> RDBMS.

Sure it is !
If MetaKit doesn't yet have an orthogonal persistence model, it seems to
be on a good way.
Maybe the next step will be a mixed of pickle and MetaKit. I like the
MetaKit way to query objects. We're getting close to OQL (maybe I'm
wrong with the name ... haven't touch an O2 database for years).

> Don't think you'll find anything that meets those requirements
> that doesn't consume vast amounts of resources (including
> $$, probably).

Memory ... gigabytes of memory. But yet, I'm not sure I can find any
commercial products to meet my requirements.
Actually, I'm trying to set this on a cluster and, as I have very few
data modifications (4 times a day) I'm looking toward duplication of the
database (data distribution thru LH* or RP* gives me headache) ... But
all this is a bit out of topic ;-)

Regards,

Arnaud