Vaults of Parnassus problem

D'Arcy J.M. Cain darcy at vex.net
Sat Feb 5 08:56:06 EST 2000

tim wrote:
> aahz at netcom.com (Aahz Maruch) wrote in
> <87ca7j$ela$1 at nntp3.atl.mindspring.net>:
>>again it works for me.  Either there's a regular transient problem
>>at vex.net or there's some weird network problem.

> There have been a few "transient" (as Aahz says) problems this week, but none
> "regular" (as far as i have seen), and generally not lasting too long at any
> one time. So if you have a problem, do try to stay calm as possible, and try
> back again in a little while. (-:

> As of today the vex.net web server is on a big "honking" (as D'Arcy says) new
> machine. Heh. This may help, too. So far it looks to be working well!

There are still a few things left to do.  The systems still depend on
each other to some extent.  Soon the web server will be completely self
sufficient and will run whether the shell server is up or not.  That
means that the next time some user process takes down our shell machine
that the web server will continue to run.

As for the "honking" part, it is now a Pentium III 500 MgHz system with
128MB of RAM and 27GB of ultra-wide SCSI disk.  I'm not sure how honking
people think that is but considering that it's mainly just a web server
and it is replacing a Pentium 120 with a small IDE and 32 MB RAM, I think
it can be considered a significant upgrade.

--
D'Arcy J.M. Cain <darcy at vex.net>           |  Democracy is three wolves
http://www.vex.net/                        |  and a sheep voting on