Case Sensitivity and Learnability

Glen Starchman glen at electricorb.com
Wed Feb 2 07:33:32 EST 2000

Case sensitivity is a wonderful thing. With a language like VB which is not
case-sensitive (although the IDE will change all occurences of a variable to the
first defined case)  the developer may refer to objPerson as OBJperson,
oBJPeRsOn, etc... personally I find this annoying, and a terrible practice to
get into if the developer then has to write C code!

As for language keywords being case-sensitive... ditto! However, in the case of
keywords it forces the developer to think when typing a keyword. All in all a
good thing and makes for cleaner, more standard code... as long as someone
doesn't do something like:

def function(x,y):
    #do some silly stuff...

def FUNCTION(x,y):