Overloading =

Ken Seehof kens at sightreader.com
Sun Feb 27 18:43:39 EST 2000

You can't overload "=" in that case, because "=" is not an assignment
operator.  In fact, "=" is not an operator at all (in this case).  It binds
name to an object.  The statement "a=5" doesn't even look at what
kind of thing the name "a" used to refer to, it simply binds the name "a"
to the object 5.

Here a useful exception to the rule:

In the statement

  obj.a = 5

the "=" is the __setattr__ operator, so it's equivalent to

  obj.__setattr__('a', 5)

Then you overload __setattr__ to do whatever typechecking and stuff you
want.
Perhaps you could prefix the users string with "obj." so "a=5" becomes
"obj.a=5".
You almost certainly want "a" to be a member of an object anyway.  I'd
probably nuke the ".value" idea, unless you need it for something, though
you
could make __setattr__ do anything you want including "obj.a.value=5".

Overall, I'd say you've suffered too long as a C++ programmer (as I have)
and you need to forget everything you've ever learned.  Take a vacation.
When you get back, start again on python with a fresh mind.  If you try
to get python to do C++ tricks, you will just make your life difficult.
Python's
got its own stuff thats way better.