idlerc.py

Randall Hopper aa8vb at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 25 11:05:39 EST 2000

Warren Postma:
 |> Now is there a way to put these color settings in an ".idlerc" of sorts so
 |> they're kept from version to version without hacking any source?
 |
 |How about checking your working (and home directory for unix} for an
 |"idlerc.py" on Unix and if so, run it.

Sounds good, but IDLE doesn't support it.

 |Problem with .idlerc is it's very Unix-ish and wouldn't fit in on Win32,
 |whereas an INI file or Registry is very Windows-ish and not very Unix.

True, though NT has homedirs for users I believe, on MSWin FAT FS (and VFAT
too IIRC) can't handle files beginnning with dot.

 |Compromise? :-)

Hmm.  Well, maybe we don't need too.  IDLE is a Tk app, right?  Why not use
the Tk mechanisms for specifying resources?  On UNIX, that translates into
.Xdefaults.  On MSWin, that's tk.tcl file (according to Brent Welch in his
Tcl/Tk book).  The difference is abstracted by Tk and the app code is the
same.

--
Randall Hopper
aa8vb at yahoo.com