Help with Python Grammar change

Laurence Tratt tratt at dcs.kcl.ac.uk
Tue Feb 15 04:38:49 EST 2000

Travis Oliphant wrote:

> I have a question for people familiar with the Python Grammar:
>
> How difficult would it be and what are the problems with altering the
> grammar (and compile.c code)
[slice notation for function arguments]
> Is this at all possible, or would it break things horribly?

Whether or not it's possible in this instance (and to be honest, this
doesn't seem a particuarly useful change <wink> but that's just me), changes
to the grammar shouldn't be undertaken lightly. Quite a few of us poor souls
out there have Python eating programs of one sort or another and changes to
the grammar can cause our programs to fail in baldness inducing ways.

If I have to end up looking like a Benny Hill sidekick, it would be
nice to know it was in the name of new functionality and not just
getting-into-the-realms-of-another-language-beginning-with-P tiny
syntactic sugar <wink>.

in-the-modern-diet-<x>-age-why-not-syntactic-aspartame-ly
  y'rs Laurie