Python and ASP question

Tom Funk no_spam_tdfunk at nettally.com_spam_sux
Tue Feb 29 22:52:39 EST 2000

Yosef:

In an article posted Sun, 27 Feb 2000 09:06:47 GMT,
yosefgold at hotmail.com (yosefgold at hotmail.com) said:
> I am trying to import a module (using the 'import' statement) into an
> ASP page and it does not seem to be working.  Is this a limitation of
> Python/ASP or am I doing something wrong?

There are a couple of things you might want to check:

That the Win32 Python Extensions are properly installed.

Your Python version is 1.5.2.

<%@Language=Python%> as the first executable line in the ASP file.

Between the <% %> delimiters, leading spaces are important. For instance:

<%
import sys
pyVersion = sys.version
%>

will work. Whereas

<%
  import sys
  pyVersion = sys.version
%>

will fail.  The interpreter doesn't like the leading spaces in front of
import and pyVersion.

Here's a sample ASP file that should work as-is (it works for me).  Copy
and paste it into an ASP file and execute it from your server.  It should
display the current Python version and a list of server environment
variables.

If this doesn't work, your Win32 Extensions installation may be hosed up.

-----------[ copy after this line ]--------------
<%@Language=Python%>
<%
# NO leading spaces here
indent = " " * 5

def emitEnv():
  # leading spaces needed here...
  import os

  for key in os.environ.keys():
                   (indent, key, os.environ[key]))

# again, NO leading spaces here
import sys
pyVersion = sys.version
%>
<h3>Current Python Version</h3>
<h3>Server Environment Variables</h3>
<%
# no leading spaces, yet again
emitEnv()
%>
-----------[ copy before this line ]--------------

Hope this helps some.

Btw, it sometimes makes it easier to get assistance around here if you
include error messages and/or tracebacks when you have problems.  "import
won't work" is a bit vague.  Just a thought.... <g>

Thomas D. Funk (tdfunk at asd-web.com)      |       "Software is the lever
Software Engineering Consultant          | Archimedes was searching for"
Advanced Systems Design, Tallahassee FL. |