Python code using threads

Steve Holden sholden at bellatlantic.net
Mon Feb 28 00:10:02 EST 2000

Jason Stokes wrote:

> Can anyone point me in the direction of some good open source Python code
> that uses threading and locking?  I learn best by reading production level
> code.

For locking, search deja news.  There has been some recent discussion on
the topic.  For threading I can do no better than repeat

            jblaine at shell2.shore.net (Jeff Blaine)'s

recent post (once is never enough, especially for me):

Ripped straight from Aahz Maruch's post the other day and simplified
as more of a 'visual learning tool' demo.  Added a few comments...
whatever...just posting in case someone finds this one more graspable
at a thread-beginner level like me.

#!/usr/local/bin/python

import time, threading, whrandom

class MyThread(threading.Thread):
    """ Each thread picks a 'random' integer between 0 and 19 and reports
        in once per second for that many seconds.
    """

    def run(self):
        iterations = whrandom.randint(0, 19)
        for i in range(iterations):
            print "   ", self.getName(), "is reporting in"
            time.sleep(1)
        print self.getName(), "is DONE"

if __name__ == '__main__':
    threadList = []

    # Create 5 MyThread() threads
    for i in range(5) :
        thread = MyThread()
        threadList.append(thread)

    # Start all threads
    for thread in threadList:
        thread.start()

    # As long as we have more than just the 'main' thread running, print out
    # a status message
    while threading.activeCount() > 1 :
        print str(threading.activeCount()), "threads running including main"
        time.sleep(1)

Please note, you should not expect this to run under Idle, which gave somewhat
incomprehensible results to a newbie like me, but it works fine as a
standalone.

regards
 Steve
--
"If computing ever stops being fun, I'll stop doing it"