mail filter in python?

Donn Cave donn at u.washington.edu
Tue Feb 8 15:58:14 EST 2000

Quoth "Garrett G. Hodgson" <garry at sage.att.com>:
| that's two people who've pointed out the difficulty in getting it right.
| perhaps a better approach is to build yourself a python syntax to
| generate the crufty procmail syntax.

If I'm not already counted among those two, make that three!
But I don't know that it's not worth bothering with, it depends
on one's ambitions.

A recreational code abuser might have a little fun with this and
harm no one.  A very ambitious programmer might very well be able
to contribute something that's substantially better than procmail -
there's plenty room for improvement and no chance at all that procmail
itself will improve.

I personally wouldn't try to ``front end'' .procmailrc, unless maybe
the object were a very constrained front end that simplified the issues
for the kind of interface you'd get on a web form.  Otherwise, you have
to learn more .procmailrc syntax to do it, than you'd have to learn just
to use .procmailrc directly!  But I'm assuming the author would be the
only user, perhaps that's not true.

	donn at u.washington.edu