"Python Annotated Archives" A good book?

Joseph C. Kopec kopecjc at worldnet.att.net
Fri Feb 11 22:08:49 EST 2000

I have read and loved Learning Python and more recently have been using
Python Annotated Archives.  Frankly, I have been a little disappointed with
PAA.  It is little more than 700 pages of commented code -- a program is
presented verbatim and followed by an interpretation of the code.
Unfortunately, this interpretation is done very much on a line-by-line basis,
with little in the way of context or even a decent explanation of why a
program was structured the way it was.  Additionally, many of the code
examples are somewhat dated -- in some cases they are programs that have been
in the standard distribution for years (for instance, the regular express
section uses regex and not re).  That said, if you (or your employer) have
$50 to burn and you like to have things on paper rather than using on-line
resources, it is one of the more up-to-date books.  Other larger Python books
such as Programming Python and Internet Programming With Python are kind of
old.  (Note, however, that the new edition "Programming Python" is due out in
a few months.)  Additionally, I have heard good things about the New Riders
book on Python (is it called Essential Python?).  Hope this helps.