small python implementation or python subset ?

Dave Cinege dcinege at psychosis.com
Sat Feb 19 14:55:40 EST 2000

Jean-Claude Wippler wrote:

> You can add "SLOPPY" to that list - SourceLess One Package Python :)
>
> I've been hacking away at creating a smaller Python core which can be
> deeply embedded in various contexts.  It runs .pyc files, and is pretty
> small (especially when upx-compressed, I'll save the conclusions for
> when this stuff is ready for public consumption).
>
> I invite everyone who has worked on this to send patches (or modified
> sources, but please get in touch first, to avoid useless repetition).
> End of this month, I'll integrate it all into a single patch set, ready
> for evaluation and hopefully acceptance into the Python core as a set of
> #ifdef's (like the current #define WITHOUT_COMPLEX).  No promises, but
> I've brought this up and gotten a basic go-ahead from, eh, management :)
>
> Alternately, if someone else is almost there, please step forward so
> that we can exchange notes and get this stuff over and done with.

How small have you gotten one?
I run the Linux Router Project, which pumps a very full Linux OS into a ~1.5mb
of compressed space.

Right now. the scripting is all done with ash (not bash!) sh shell, and sed.
I've gotten very far with just these, but it may be worth going with a
minimallist python, if it's small enough.