[CORBA] omniNames feature request

Duncan Grisby dgrisby at uk.research.att.com
Mon Feb 14 06:15:57 EST 2000

In article <slrn8aa0vf.fkv.kc5tja at garnet.armored.net>,
 Samuel A. Falvo II <kc5tja at garnet.armored.net> wrote:

>Can an option be added into the next release of omniNames (like -iorfile
><filename>) such that it causes omniNames to produce a very simple text file
>containing nothing but the name service's IOR?  I need this output because
>omniORB's solution to boot-strapping the name service is ... well,
>omniORB-specific.  My application needs complete interoperability, so I need
>to publish the name service's IOR at a well-known TCP/IP port using plain
>sockets.

Good idea. That will be easy to do. In the mean time, the IOR is
printed in the omniNames log file on a line like

Root context is IOR:....

so it's easy to extract it from there.

>(Why, oh WHY didn't OMG specify a fixed TCP/IP port and object key for the
>name service?  Is it really too much to ask for?!)

The OMG has now come up with a thing called the Interoperable Naming
Service which solves these issues. It hasn't been fully accepted yet,
and it has undergone many changes over its lifetime. Once it is
finally standardised, which will hopefully be in the next few months,
omniORB and omniORBpy will support it.