Corel + Borland = The End of MS Win

Fredrik Lundh effbot at telia.com
Thu Feb 10 13:12:20 EST 2000

Shalabh Chaturvedi wrote:
> Even more amusing

really entertaining, that one ;-)

> "Neither Python nor Perl were designed as object-oriented languages."
>
> Is this true about Python ?

I guess matz (who occasionally drops by and posts well-
balanced and interesting stuff in this newsgroup) refers
to the type/class split in the current C implementation.

if you write an extension object, you'll get better per-
formance if you implement it as a type descriptor, and
one or more factory functions

the advantage is that you can use low-level slots for
certain operations, while the disadvantage is that you
cannot subclass types in Python code.

(you can write complete classes in C too, but that's a
bit more work, and doesn't give you quite the same
performance advantage, so nobody's doing that)

this is mostly a CPython implementation quirk, and it
will definitely be fixed in Py3K.

> ""Though it is rarely claimed that Ruby is more powerful than Python, """

no, but don't forget that it's more popular than Python:

    "Though it is rarely claimed that Ruby is more
    powerful than Python, Ruby is faster, more natural,
    more elegant, and increasingly more popular."

one sentence combining the worst aspects of wallish pseudo-
science, lispish puritanism, and microsoft markese.  poor matz.
he really deserves a better marketing department ;-)

</F>