Whitespace as syntax (was Re: Python Rocks!)

Aahz Maruch aahz at netcom.com
Thu Feb 10 20:20:30 EST 2000

In article <38A33AD9.3F4EA190 at americasm01.nt.com>,
Eaglestone, Robert [NGC:B918:EXCH] <eaglesto at americasm01.nt.com> wrote:

>There must be a reason or rationale between 1) the ubiquity of
>bracketed syntax, and 2) Python deliberately omitting it.  That is:
>there is a reason Python doesn't use it, and it must be a big one or
>else it just would have used bracketing.  I want to know what this
>compelling reason is!

There is, but if we told you, we'd have to kill you.

More seriously, it's pretty clear that you have not been carefully
reading comp.lang.python for the last couple of weeks.  The short answer
is that Guido has experience with one of the few projects (ABC) to
really do some in-depth user testing to find out what makes a language
easy to read (NOTE: *not* easy to write).  Python is the result of that
experience.
--
                      --- Aahz (Copyright 2000 by aahz at netcom.com)

Hugs and backrubs -- I break Rule 6