Which GUI?

Fredrik Lundh effbot at telia.com
Mon Feb 21 13:24:09 EST 2000

Gerrit Holl <gerrit.holl at pobox.com> wrote:
> * It's MUCH easier to translate C++ calls to Python calls
>   than translate Tcl/Tk calls to Python calls. So everything
>   needs to be double documented in Tkinter (okay, if you want
>   to take the time to document *everything*...)

Tkinter is not Tcl/Tk, so everything needs to be
"doubly documented".  and accordingly, people are
doing that.  visit your favourite on-line bookstore
and find out for yourself.

> * It's up to 1000 times slower.

oh, I'm sure can prove that wxPython is up to 10,000
times slower than Tkinter. all depends on the bench-
mark, you know...

> > methinks wxPython is superior to Tkinter in pretty much
> > the same way as languages with braces are superior to
> > languages using indentation...
>
> The reason you named is the only valid reason I heared for keeping
> Tkinter so far.

huh?  so the books, the support, the existing code
base, the portability, the company backing, plus the
whole tcl/tk universe, doesn't count as "valid reasons".

and you think you're capable of putting together an
*unbiased* gui comparision?

> <quote name="Eric S. Raymond">
> > Why the hell hasn't wxPython become the standard Python GUI yet?
> </quote>

eric, the famous user interface designer?

look, I've been programming user interfaces for 20 years.
if you wanna impress me, stick to facts.

or just explain to me why putting wxPython on top of
wxWindows on top of Gtk on top of Xlib is more Python-
like than putting Tkinter on top of libtk on top of Xlib?

why not just place a lean and mean OO layer on top of
Gtk (or Xt)?  in my book, *that* would be Python-like...

</F>