Phython as In-Game scripting language

rdudfield at my-deja.com rdudfield at my-deja.com
Wed Feb 23 15:33:58 EST 2000

In article <20000222211406.41743.qmail at hotmail.com>,
  "Shawn LeBlanc" <wrlddomprod at hotmail.com> wrote:
> Greetings!
>
> Being totally new to Python and completely honest in saying that
> I have no idea of what I'm doing, I had a few questions.
>
> My team and I are thinking about embedding Python into our
> game engine on the Windows platform. The basic idea would be that the
> major entities, including enemies, would have a script attached to
> them to control behavior. This would allow the level/content designers
> to concentrate more on the game design side of things, since
> behaviors would be outside of the main game engine. Is it
> possible to have multiple scripts running at the same time?
> Would this involve creating multiple interpreter objects? According
> to the docs, this is possible but it isn't totally safe to do.
> What would be a good strategy for this?
>
> My other question was one of performance. Is it crazy to have
> ~10 different objects with each an individual script and hoping
> the game will be running at 30 frames per second? The question might
not be
> valid, since I'm not sure how to implement it in the first
> place.

Microthreads would be good for this.  Although I'm not sure if the
authour is continuing work on them.

As a side note you might want to check out crystalscript.  Which is
python, semi-based on unreals agent apis.  It is for use with
crystalspace.  There is a link to crystalscript off the
cyrstal.linuxgames.com site.

Rene.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.