BSDDB copyright and licensing restrictions while in use viaPython

Oleg Broytmann phd at phd.russ.ru
Fri Feb 25 04:28:28 EST 2000

Hello.

   Thanks for listening!

On Thu, 24 Feb 2000, Jean-Claude Wippler wrote:
> MetaKit has been "closed source" until last December, and hence has not
> benefited from the wide platform tweaking OSS usually gets over time.
> Perhaps it would be best to reserve judgement until MetaKit has been
> around as open source for a year or so?

   That was the point I tried to express - there are some advantages in
Berkeley DB over MetaKit; one reason is that MetaKit is a bit young.

> Oleg, I welcome your input on MK, positive and negative.  Yes, in a way
> MK is a "poor boy", because it is a new kid in the (OSS) neighbourhood.
> But it's a lively newcomer, and you're welcome to help make it grow up.

   Sure. Currently I work mostly with PostgreSQL and MySQL, but when I'll
have spare time, I'll continue one of my hobby projects, where I want to
create database for URLs; parser will store URLs using abstract interface,
and different backends will implement the interface. I hope to have BSDDB,
MetaKit, SQL and ZODB-based backends. After playing with this I hope to
have good experience to compare DBM and alike...

Oleg.
----
    Oleg Broytmann      Foundation for Effective Policies      phd at phd.russ.ru