Reducing Python's memory footprint?

Niels Diepeveen niels at endea.demon.nl
Wed Feb 23 08:12:49 EST 2000

Joel Hatch schreef:
> Using five megs to load a Python interpreter is a little excessive, but
> acceptable. Blowing a half of my available RAM on a handful of nifty
> panel applets and a monitor or two just doesn't work, though...

If it takes 5MB to run a single process, that doesn't mean you need 50MB
to run 10 processes. All (or most) of the executable code (the
interpreter, C modules etc.) is shared between these processes, so
running 10 of them may take only 6MB or so, depending mostly on the
amount of memory used to store data.

--
Niels Diepeveen
Endea automatisering