Which GUI?

Wm. King wjk at wjk.mv.com
Mon Feb 21 00:54:53 EST 2000

As a newbie, I guess I must have taken a left turn somewhere
at the signpost that said "Select GUI here".....
I use Tcl/Tk as front end for lots of stuff... ("Yikes" I said that--
hmmm
It's all about layers isn't it....?) like Python, Shell and other prgms,
though
the rendering of widgets varies from  MAC and PC to Xwindows etc.
It suits my purpose - though I have to change sizes of things now and
then.
Third party widgets are available and can be added to one's repertoire...

I think Zope didn't bother using Tk simply for the same rendering issues
or possibly because of the limited number of widgets ...
Tkinter is very kewl as well... The only reason I can do stuff fairly
well
with Tkinter is because I mess with Tcl/Tk a lot and I like Tkinter as
much especially while I am learning Python. With JPython or Java you can
get a different look and feel with AWT/Swing.
The other P language ("Yuch") has Tk which I tried to use but found more
troublesome than it was worth so I can't say anymore for it.
I am not familiar with other GUI stuff for Python but have gotten a small

education while reading this GUI thread. There are a lot of other
widgets etc. available for Tcl/Tk than for Python me thinks...--- maybe
check out BLT .
I am sure the other Python gurus can point you in some good directions.
Good luck in finding what you need.....